Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Work expands to fill the available space

In preparing two of my old books for digital downloads in the last few days, I couldn't help but wonder how on earth I managed to do these extra books (one of which was 100 pages long!) alongside the main comic. Along the way I managed another couple, both of which ran to about 30 pages - all of which when I was doing five, not four comics a week.

Then I had a look back, and saw that the period during which I worked on them coincides with some of the, shall we say, lesser work in my back catalogue. Stories that, rather than not ending well, didn't really end at all. The work in these lovely parenthetical volumes, seen by around 2000 people on each occasion, rather spoiled my daily efforts.

Needless to say, scarcely a day goes by when I don't fancy a stab at another side project. I love making proper, standalone books! But if a member of the audience could nominate themselves to come and pat me gently on the shoulder when I suggest it, and take me away for a seaside "rest-cure", it might be best for everyone concerned.

Here's a long lost drawing I found from this era. The era of uneconomical toil. Speak to you... SOON!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems to me that you are writing something much more bookish in format now.

Did you enjoy any good fortune when you put the word out regarding agents?

John A said...

No Glen, alas. Oh alas!

John A said...

(Ben)

Anonymous said...

I shall put the word forward to the one person I know who might know some people.

spiderbaby said...

It's great news that you're making some of the older material available for download. I think I have all of them in paper form except for one short story which went out of print but this allows people who missed those to buy them and enjoy them in a nice format. Plus if I remember which short story that was, I'd snap it up digitally!

Smart plan economically and good for us fans too :-).

Have you seen how the comics look on one of them large colour doohickeys like an iPad?

K said...

Nostalgia! I chanced upon Scary Go Round in my schooldays and now I am old! Simpler times...

K xx



http://duenotice.blogspot.com/

John A said...

Spiderbaby: could it have been Scareodeleria? That story was coloured and used to fill in one time when I was on holiday, the story in question is in the SGR archive, it's called "The Big Broadcast".

K: Going back to these old stories is memory lane for me too! I find it amazing when people tell me they read my work when they were at school. At least twice a week, I wail for "simpler times", then I remember that I never have to do another exam or purchase "Clearasil" (if I don't want to).

ambient said...

I really like the unused cover!!

Dharmabum said...

John, I have to say, reading those SGR stories "back then," I thought them all to be thoroughly enjoyable - hence my continued following. The stories were much more character driven, than story driven - although I thought the story lines were fun, too! Everything evolved, but it was the quirky characters, and their actions - along with your art work - that brought great joy. If I want War & Peace I will head for a novel!

spiderbaby said...

Scareodeleria was the one that was on my mind, John. It was one of the older short books anyway. I'd check but my books are living in another continent now and they never call.