Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Still trying

It's now 3 years, two months since I released my black and white Scareodeleria book - the book that was meant to be number one in a quarterly series! Excuse me while I execute a hollow laugh.

I live in hope that I'll manage another standalone project, because although I am pleased with my efforts on daily Scary Go Round, I find the book collections very dense reading. It's nice just to be able to tell a yarn without worrying about getting the quips and snipes in just the right place and ending whatever you were trying to say in the bottom right hand corner of your piece of A4 paper.

This morning I spent £50 and gave myself a headache trying to make one page of a prospective follow up. I don't know about you, but £50 and a headache won't do. At that rate, by page 22 I'd have spent £1100 and be suffering from some kind of aneurysm (probably several).

I should explain that in producing this project, I am attempting to become "the new king of manga". You and I both know that I am not going to become the new king of manga any time soon. Even with the aid of the ministrations of my spiritual guide Mr Godiba (see here), I'm not going to be the new Junko Mizuno.

BUT I WILL DIE IF NECESSARY IN THE ATTEMPT! DO NOT TRY TO STOP ME BECAUSE YOU WILL FAIL! ALL WILL FAIL!



That was less intense than I hoped it would be.

5 comments:

WFHIT? said...

I'm pretty excited about this.

I may make myself a celebratory bowl of cereal.

Cornflakes with LEMON ZEST for that added excitement ZING!

sodapops!! said...

my little cousin in south korea told me his school banned manga because it is the product of japanese devils! O: i sense a BIAS in this but i'm sure it would be easily resolved with plenty of benefit rock concerts and maybe the 2008 olympics.

but john JOHN i am so excited!! a standalone project sounds amazingg and you are such an ace storyteller, now i can not wait for this and it might take years for you to get the time to work on it! i don't think a small hiatus would be amiss, because i do love SGR, but i love more all the wide breadth of stories and possibilities you could create!!

however i do not like aneurysms so maybe you should just take it slow. i'm rooting for you crazy lots!

Sparkles F said...

Did you already consult Mr. Godiba on this matter? What did he have to say? Maybe you can aim for the crown prince of Manga, you know, start out slow with warm-ups.
Don't you love Ryan Air?

fingle said...

John a écrit: It's nice just to be able to tell a yarn without worrying about getting the quips and snipes in just the right place and ending whatever you were trying to say in the bottom right hand corner of your piece of A4 paper...

Dang, when you say it that way, it sounds just like work... Maybe I'll stick to the printing-telecom-stagehand-husband-father-"guitar-god" life and give up my dreams of being a jet-setting artist like yourself.

Toby Haynes said...

I swear that the Leprechaun in Friday's strip is the spitting image of Terry Wogan!