Sunday, June 19, 2005

NME Chart Mediawatch

Sometimes I like to watch the NME Chart Show, a kind of viewer-voted list of records that is on MTV2. Obviously, I agree with some songs and disagree with others. Whenever I start wondering how anyone could raise their dander for a third generation copy of Interpol*, I stab myself in the arm with a pencil, because not everyone is as OLD and JADED as me.

ROCK FACT: Jack White's new and fancy ginger wife Karen Elson went to school in Chadderton, mere streets away from my house.
ROCK LIE: Jack and Karen are always round my house eating my pies.

* All the rage I feel about the existence of Interpol is dispersed because the Interpol $$$ keep Matador Records in pies.

8 comments:

Nate said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds Interpol rather overrated. I mean, they play a few nice songs, and hearing them over the soundsystem at the conrner bar makes me smile, but "best band on earth"? Oh come on now, people.

Doctor Sinister said...

The Rock Fact is not entirely surprising, considering Chadderton's international reputation as a hot-bed of Brazilian animism.

Josh said...

I quite like Interpol, but I do feel like I should apologise for that sometimes.

Jack and Karen look a lot like Johnny Depp and Drew Barrymore on the new album.

rockstarbaby said...

meg, the two beat drummer of alleged incestuous/not really fame is also looking fairly saucy in the video...

television is magic, in that it drains magic from the universe to sustain itself!

Roman said...

Mitch Miller went to East High School here in Rochester, around the corner and down the way from my house. Wow! Mitch Miller!

John A said...

Nate, I don't think Interpol's songs are meant to make anybody smile. You're meant to be frowning, or they've failed.

Nate said...

It is likely that I am "evil". That song came on Saturday night and at the aforementioned corner bar, spurring me to make the winning foosball goal.

I also am made happy by listening to sublimely sad Eels albums like Electro-Shock Blues, though admittedly this is during "Last Stop This Town" a moment of some catharsis. Even Joy Divisioon makes me happy. My brain might not be wired right.

Marie said...

Nate, I consider Radiohead my "happy" music. I think there is something wrong with both of us.