Friday, April 21, 2006

Sadness

Ever since my cleansing journey into Yacht Rock, I've been pretty certain that indie rock as a form is moribund and essentially dead. Don't worry, indie rock always recovers, I felt like this in early 1994 and 1998 (almost all year!) But I still have to buy records - I'm still a man, damn it. I've been too bashful to tell my gig-going friends that I've spent most of the year gorging on Erin Bode and Nerina Pallot. They wouldn't understand. I think they'd understand my Jacqui Naylor problem even less. Why did things have to get so dang smooth?

2 comments:

Bruce Walker said...

John, if you are gong to hunt in that direction, at least go after game with meat on its bones. Try Patricia Barber http://www.patriciabarber.com/ . I especially recommend her disc Modern Cool (1998). Cf: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patricia_Barber

John A said...

GATEWAY DRUG GATEWAY DRUG, EVERYTHING hAS GOT TOO SMOOTH.

This is what happened in 1991 when I bought a Nancy Griffiths tape for £1.99.