Saturday, July 25, 2009

Back on Twitter

After the debacle of the Dr Ladysounds Twitter earlier in the year, which I closed pretty quickly because it was creating a sort of unpleasant aphasia, I have waited for everyone to forget then opened a new Twitter. It is a concession to the good people who keep me in business. This time I will do it right. Here it is.

Even if you don't like Twitter I have decorated the page with a lovely self portrait that you might like.

OTHER NEWS, PASSIM

I have a frog in my garden, I have named him "Froggy", of course. He has been there for a couple of months, hiding under the heather whenever I turn the lawn mower on. I thought frogs needed water, that is the amphibian way. Should I leave an upturned frisbee out to catch rainwater in order that he might have a bath? This is very vexing.

COLONIAL DESK

I have been watching HBO's John Adams all week and it has damaged my speech patterns, which is to say, weighed down every sentence it crosses my mind to enunciate with the most unimaginable filigree detail. How did fellows get along in those times with so many damnable words to service?

4 comments:

Lucy said...

I also have a frog (well, actually, a toad)! I think all households have one or the other, it's Gordon Brown's recession-proof version of 'a chicken in every pot'. I made mine a rockery out of broken bricks and he seems pleased. Maybe you could do the same?

V^e said...

A frisbee with water, and also (dry) dog food - they like dog food.

John Adams was a most exceptionally droll production, what with it focusing exclusively upon a lone - and let's face it, ultimately unimportant - figure among many who each in his turn deserve our attention. What makes the period so popular amongst historian and non-historians alike was the entire cast of enigmatic characters. To make a mini series about one man was to revive the torturous hell that was Cast Away.

Negatives aside, I really enjoyed watching it. The best part about the way they spoke was not just the filigree to which you referred, but the slight semblance of British accents which, being British colonists, revolutionaries would have had: "American" English did not yet exist. Such a detail has been overlooked in every revolutionary production I've ever seen and its absence has always irked me.

tnuk said...

Leave an upturned frizbee and the froggy will love you. Fail to leave it, and he may lay a froggy curse upon you.

One of my friends in Uppermill has a frog in his garden. It comes out in the rain, and disappears into a wet hole in the steps when it is dry. Perhaps your frog is a relation.

Roman said...

John Adams is anything but unimportant.