Saturday, January 09, 2010

Book 8 update

Work is heavily underway on Scary Go Round book 8 now. Going through the material from August '08 to September '09, it looks like I'm going to have to do a lot to get this stuff up to scratch. I can easily spot all the work I did on weeks when I was ill (which was a lot, diseases had it in for me in 2008/9!) and there are places where the art is clearly rushed and the writing more so (there were pages where I genuinely couldn't work out what was being said - and I wrote it - I must have been completely delirious!) So i will take a few weeks to go through these comics, redraw and rewrite bits, throw out the really ropy ones, and make something that will reward re-reading.

There were several comics where I drew them a tablet PC and it just threw me completely. New equipment always takes a few weeks to warm up to. Here's one I reworked today (the original is below).



9 comments:

Christian Lawson-Perfect said...

I don't understand panel 5 in the new version. In the old comic, I interpreted as them walking past the alleyway and then getting grabbed into it in panel 6. In the new comic, they're already walking in the alley, being followed by the kidnapper, and seemingly get dragged back in just as they leave it. Why would he wait until then to strike?

Jeremy D. Impson said...

Christian,

He's waiting because he grabbed them early last time, and he knows they won't be taken the same way twice! They'll think they're safe once they leave the alley, and let their guard down.

Jeremy D. Impson said...

Also, I'm happy to see that Amy's feet are still geisha-shaped.

John A said...

Christian, I actually had a bet with someone about how many posts it would take for someone to pick a hole in the re-drawn comic or say they liked the old one better. I said it would be the first post! So I win twenty pence.

I can't really answer your question satisfactorily because your original interpretation of the comic was wrong. The kidnappers catch them up at that point then drag them backwards. I don't claim either the original nor the revision to be perfect. But the revised version doesn't look like I drew it with my ELBOWS!

John A said...

PS Yes Jeremy geisha feet, I love to draw those geisha feet.

Clockpunk said...

I look forward to purchasing the final part of the SGR saga, John!

Bbut maybe as a extra you could attempt to actually draw the characters with you elbows? Just so we can officially compare? ;-)

widebrant said...

A yay for geisha toes!

John A said...

James: I might as well have drawn that original comic with my elbows. It has roughly 100 problems. Maybe 120.

Scott said...

I quite like the perspective changes in both panels 3 and 5.