Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Bad Machinery vol 1 is OUT NOW!



I'm very proud to announce that the first Bad Machinery book, The Case Of The Team Spirit, is now available from Topatoco! Published by Oni Press, it contains the first Bad Machinery case (and the pre-amble). Running to about 140 pages, it features many new pages of story and loads of extra material, including an in-depth guide to the fake history of English football that I can only describe as "dense", "nutty" and "extremely time-consuming to write".

The book is available in standard paperback and strictly limited hardback editions. Unlike my Scary Go Round collections, it is not a bijou volume. It's HUGE - 9 x 12 inches - and beautifully designed.

As I've said before, these stories were meant to be read as books, and I'm grateful to Oni for giving me the chance to put them out in such lavish fashion. I hope to collect all the stories this way and get them to the widest audience possible - and needless to say, I can't do that without your help. Recommendation to friends, a Goodreads review, a mention anywhere that you can tell someone that something pretty reasonable is going on here.

A NOTE FOR PEOPLE OUTSIDE THE US/CANADA: The book is also available from your local comic shop. You can just walk in, give them some money, and walk right out of there completely satisfied. Give it a go! What's to lose? Good comic shops in England: Page 45 (Nottingham), Gosh!, Orbital (London), Dave's (Brighton), Travelling Man (Leeds, York, Manchester, Newcastle). But wherever you go - comic shop or normal bookshop, if they don't have it, they can get it for you.

If you have any questions about this volume, post them in the comments section and I'll do my best to answer them.

7 comments:

pko said...

Is there any way to get a personalized (hardcover) copy?

John A said...

As I will not be handling the books personally, personalised copies will have a bookplate in them. This is a label (drawn upon by me) that will be either:

a. attached at the point of sale or
b. attached by yourself having purchased it separately

It really is that easy. I haven't drawn the bookplates yet as the labels didn't arrive until today. Order the book now, order the bookplate later, or do both together - either way, you will get the desired effect.

I hope this answers your question.

pko said...

Great, thanks!

Dan said...

Hi John,
Are you able to post the ISBN details for both editions for me to pass on to my local book store to order in for me?
Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Hello Mr. Allison!

I would like to present some of my many nephews with their very own copy of Volume One, but I am not sure if you have any idea of what an appropriate or target age range is. I have enough of them that I know there will be some in the correct age range, but I just want to know which boys will be the lucky ones!

Thank you!

P.S. Bad Machinery is my very favoritest of your ventures so far, and I look forward to my daughter being old enough to read it too.

Unknown said...

So excited for this! Can't wait to read it again as a complete book.

FSogol said...

Awesome book. When is book 2 coming out?